What is more fun than playing with shaving foam? Fin-bob is still obsessed with all things space (he has a somewhat space themed bedroom that we keep adding to every now and then) and so I attempted to teach them the order of the planets in the solar system and also try out making some shaving foam puffy paint by creating puffy planets and making a solar system kid’s craft! Not sure we actually achieved that mission but we certainly had some messy fun! Before we did this craft together, we read one of our favourite Space book ‘The Solar Sysytem.’ This Usborne book is full of wonderful information about Space, and its lift-the-flap style makes it irresistible to kids. The book covers factual information about the moon, the International Space Station, the solar system, galaxies but also fun space questions like “Why do stars twinkle?”
How to Make Puffy Paint Planets?
Fancy making a 3D puffy paint planet picture? For a fun shaving foam space craft…..
You will need:
- Shaving Foam
- Black Card
- White PVA Glue
- Plastic Cups and spoons
- Look up the order of the planets, we used this website to help us (but we didn’t actually follow it properly in the end!)
- Mix 3 parts shaving foam to one part glue.
- Put small amounts of your mixture into plastic cups and with plastic spoons, mix different coloured paint into each cup. Try blue and green for Earth, yellow and orange for the sun etc….. You can use food colouring for a more vibrant effect.
- With a plastic spoon, spoon round shapes onto the black card to make puffy planet shapes. Try looking at a photo of the solar system to get the colours and positions accurate. When wet, sprinkle over some glitter for some extra sparkle!
- When dry, your planets will be puffy and squidgy to touch!
If you’d like to make some more Space Crafts for Kids – there are lots of great ideas in this post here and here’s our fun craft to make a Woolly Bug Space Alien!
Check out our other ideas for fun Crafts to do with Kids.
*The Post Contains Affiliate Links*