It’s been a lovely, quiet weekend around here. Elodie has had the snuffles and with a big week coming up for her with 3 dancing exams, we thought it best to rest in the house today. Plus it was a terrifically grey and wet Sunday so no one felt like venturing out in the rain. Instead, there was a mammoth Lego building session and a quick bake for Valentine’s Day.
Later in the afternoon, Elodie insisted that the whole family sat down to watch a film. We gladly agreed but hadn’t realised that every time we got up to go the toilet or leave the lounge we’d be subject to an ear bashing! I was constantly reminded that this was to be ‘a family Valentine’s’ film’ which meant us all cuddling squished onto one sofa under a blanket. It was so cute though, that she valued that time and I couldn’t help thinking a time will come when she won’t want us there, so we must make the most of it! I have been reminded though, that marshmallows and 3 children under 7, do not mix with a furry blanket. So be warned: these are delicious but horrendously sticky! Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!
Ingredients Serves: 12
- 50g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g marshmallows
- 100g crisped rice cereal
- Heart Marshmallows (optional)
- Edible Disco Glitter
- Red food colouring
Prep:5min › Cook:5min › Extra time:1hr50min › Ready in:2hr
- Grease a 22x33cm (9×13 in) tin with butter or use cake cases.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the vanilla extract and a tiny amount of red food colouring (to make it pink). Melt the marshmallows into the butter, stirring. Add the cereal when the marshmallows have melted; stir until cereal is coated. Quickly pour into the prepared tin or add to the cake cases. Use a sheet of greaseproof paper to press the mixture down flat and evenly into the tin.
- Sprinkle with edible glitter and add a heart marshmallow on top (optional).
- Let set for 2 to 3 hours and cut into squares.