We headed out on a little picnic adventure earlier this week and I realised that we’re half way through the summer holidays already!! What?! How did that happen?
So, I began thinking about the impending school year which, unusually I really enjoy! It’s one of my favourite times of year. I know that’s a little crazy for most people but I love shopping for new school uniforms, for new stationery (I always need a back-to-school notebook!) even though, as a teacher I am also returning back- to-school/ work I don’t mind those early first few weeks when everything is new and the classes are different. It’s returning after October half term that I do not enjoy!
This year, we have 3 school age kiddos as little Orla goes to school! So we’ll have a reception aged child, one in year 3 and one in year 5! Wowzers – year 5- that sounds grown up!
Usually, Elodie has always enjoyed school dinners and so does half the week having school dinners and the other half having a packed lunch but now Finlay is passed the school age for free KS1 school dinners as well (isn’t that a complete God-send by the way?) we’re going to have two packed lunches to make at least for half the week if they have packed lunch for the other half.
So I’ve been on the lookout for a few ideas for easy lunch box ideas that are also healthy and quick for the back to school rush.
I’ve added the ideas that I’m thinking of trying below. From easy wraps and sandwiches for lunch to healthy snacks like energy bites and trail mix, there are lots of easy ideas for lunch boxes. Although I love the look of the adorably arranged bento box with cut out sandwiches and fruit – it’s not realistic that we’ll be making that every day (or any day actually) so I’ve included a couple of fun options but mostly these are easy, quick lunch box ideas. Nobody has time to be arranging mini portions of everything! I do remember though that my mum used to make me a raisin salad for my own lunch box as a child – I loved it! So I think I need to make a bit more effort with my kid’s lunch boxes this year and encourage them to eat a variety of foods.
- A great, healthy alternative to sandwiches which you can make in advance are rainbow vegetable savoury muffins. I’m going to give these a try in order to help my son eat some more vegetables!
- I’m guilty of making the same kind of sandwiches – day in, day out, mostly ham and cheese so this list of freezable lunchbox fillers is great!
- My kids love wraps – and wraps are easier in a way to make, than sandwiches so I’m going to be giving these different wraps fillings a whirl this year!
- This is an idea for when I have a little more time but these apple sandwiches are such an interesting idea for lunchboxes that I know my kids will love!
- To make sure that I don’t put the same old things into their lunch boxes every day – this list is great for reminding you of different suggestions for kid’s lunch boxes.
- Lots of quick and easy ideas on this website for kid’s lunch boxes – corn on the cob is such a great idea if I cook extra for dinner one night!
- I hadn’t really thought about adding pasta or popcorn to a lunchbox before but this post from Goodie Goodie Lunch Box has given me lots of quick ideas.
- For a fun lunch idea which could rekindle summer holiday memories – try this summer beach box idea from Eats Amazing (this website has a TON of cute lunch box ideas!)
For our lunch boxes this year, we’ll be using these Sistema lunch boxes and drinks bottles. The kids love the different compartments – it will make it easier to try and encourage them to eat different foods and it will save on plastic waste as we can put everything straight in without the need to wrap separately. They feel strong and won’t snap or break easily. We’ve been using the drinks bottles over the summer regularly to test for leaks! We haven’t ever found a drinks bottle that doesn’t leak so I’m so excited that so far these have been leak proof! That’s such a big win for the start of the new school year!
If you’d like to win your own set of Sistema lunch box and drinks bottle – see below for your chance to win!
Disclosure: *We were gifted Sistema lunchboxes in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts, words and photos are my own.*