Space is officially cool right? Well, Fin has been interested in all-things-space for quite a while now and way back we created a puffy paint solar system which was sooooo cool- our pictures of these stayed up on our fridge and in frames for ages! Definitely one of our favourite crafts in a while.
Off the back of that and also because Elle starts a new topic of ‘active planets’ at school this year, we decided to make some more space themed crafts. Less educational than the puffy planets but with more of the cute factor, we decided to make some aliens! Space themed isn’t space themed without some alien friends- right?!
Meet Ziggy and Bob- our cute resident Woolly Bug Aliens! We all had fun this weekend making these little space friends! If you’d like to give them a whirl, you will need…..
- Two Balls of different coloured wool
- Large Polysterene Balls
- One sheet of foam
- Pipe Cleaners
- Googly Eyes
1. Make a pompom by wrapping wool around a 5 inch piece of cardboard at least 120 times. Mix colours or use all one colour. Cut a 6 inch strand of wool and tie it round the wrapped wool. Tie tightly into a double knot. On the opposite side of the cardboard, cut the wool in the centre, this will give you the tied string at the top of your pompom and the rest of the yarn pieces will hang down making the little body. Smooth out the pieces if they are a bit on the wild side. (This step is tricky so see here for a little video to help, you are making the larger pom pom in the video but you also want your pieces of wool to be longer so don’t trim them.)
2. Cover the Styrofoam ball all over (excluding the bottom) with the tacky glue. Separating the strands of your pompom, place it over the Styrofoam ball making the strands of wool fall around the ball. You can arrange the wool neatly and then press into the pompom (only the under layers of wool will stick to the ball, the rest should lay neatly)
3. Cut large feet out of the card and glue them onto the bottom of the Styrofoam ball.
4. Decorate your alien with wiggly eyes, pipe cleaner or lolly stick antennae and smily pipe cleaner mouths!
And there you have some cute woolly bugs to play with! Fin has asked if we can make some robots next, so keep a look out for those!